Navigating The Port of Stockholm
The Port of Stockholm encompasses a large area, providing services to many vessel calls during the busy summer season.
Cruise ships will use one of the cruise quays or moorings around the city, either close to Stockholm’s Old Town, Gamla Stan, or just a few miles away near the commercial port area.
Of primary concern to cruise visitors is the location of their dock with relation to major attractions in Sweden’s capital city. If you are not sure which location your ship will call on, check our cruise calendar.
Where cruise ships will dock during the 2011 season.
Closest quays to Gamla Stan:
- Skeppsbron – Conveniently located near Gamla Stan and the Royal Palace. Lindlbad Expeditions, Hurtigruten, Seadream Yacht Club, The Yachts of Seabourn, and Windstar Cruises are scheduled to use these cruise quays. Click here to see a live webcam view of the quayside.
- Förtöjning På Strömmen – Ships using this option will have to tender as this is a mooring buoy. Cunard Line, Holland America Line, and The World are scheduled to use these moorings in 2011.
Quays located south of Gamla Stan:
- Stadsgården – Close to Gamla Stan, in fact you can see it from the quayside approximately 1.5 miles away. There is a small terminal building with tourist information available. Celebrity Cruises, Costa, Holland America Line, MSC, Princess Cruises, Royal Caribbean, and Silversea Cruises use this facility. Silversea vessels, however, typically dock closer to Gamla Stan, near Fotografiska, a photography museum that is well worth the visit. See our article Two Works Of Art, Side By Side, In Stockholm
Quays located in the commercial port area, north of Gamla Stan:
- Frihamnen – about 3 miles from Gamla Stan, which can equate to a 15-20 minute bus ride. Frihamnen is popular with ships that are turning around and embarking and debarking new cruise passengers. There is a cruise terminal offering tourist information and services (WiFii, phones, and some food). Busses (#76 takes you to popular sites) and taxis are available. Check our article about how to take the bus from Frihamnen.
- Värtahamnen – About 5 miles from Gamla Stan. Guests should plan on taking public transportation. Azamara Club Cruises uses this pier.